Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Good Enough to Eat

Last week I bought a book from amazon.com that I was really looking forward to reading.  Bonus, it was on sale.

  It came yesterday.  I started reading it last night before I went to bed, and I haven't wanted to put it down since.  It's called "Good Enough to Eat" by Stacey Ballis.  It is about a woman who sheds 145 lbs., starts leading a healthier life, has her husband leave her for a fat woman, and has to rebuild her life.  This character thinks almost exactly like I do.  Obsessions with food, relationships with other people....

As my son is taking his nap, I'm reading more of the book.  I came upon this part, and feel I have to share because in a nutshell, it's how I feel.

"I run a hot bath for myself, and as it fills, I let my robe drop to the floor and look at myself in the mirror.  I have a good face, not beautiful, at least not to me, but reasonably attractively put together, handsome.  But my body bears the scars of a lifetime of obesity.  White stretch marks line the front of my stomach, my thighs, striate my breasts, which were once a lush 42DDD and are now a 36D, hanging deflated, defeated.  The skin of my upper arms, my inner thighs, and over my abdomen is loose, and while there is excellent muscle tone underneath, the skin, which once was taut over soft pillows of fat, now slides in waves over the space I worked so long to create...My butt, which once loomed in a massive shelf jutting out over my lower back like the stern of a proud sailing vessel, has somehow dropped into a sad double teardrop.  ...With the right bra, I have a great rack.  But naked, naked I look like a newborn bird without feathers; something is not quite finished about me.  I never wanted to get the excess skin removal surgery; it is costly and debilitating.  But I also never really thought about being here.  In this place.....But I feel like a fraud.  Because however good I look dressed, however normal I appear to be in public, once you strip me down, I have essentially the body of an old woman."

I can't wait to finish this book, yet I don't want it to end.

You can find it here:  http://www.amazon.com/Good-Enough-Eat-Stacey-Ballis/dp/B004LQ0EFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302106851&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment