Saturday, January 1, 2011

The first post of 2011

1/1/11...New Year's Day 2011.  Hard to believe another year has come and gone.  A monumental year for me, a year that found me losing 76 lbs.  I have another 30 or so to go, so now's the time to buckle down and get serious.  The first 76 fell off...this last 30 is going to have to be worked off.  Nothing good comes easy, right?

I went grocery shopping today--by myself.  That rarely happens, and from the looks of my purchases, it should happen more often.  As I was loading the groceries onto the belt, it hit me how different I shop from when I first moved out onto my own, from a few years ago, and especially from 6 months ago.  It's been a fun challenge to cook even healthier than I used to, and to make it something my family (especially my finicky daughter) will at least try.  The downside to all the healthier groceries?  A heftier grocery bill.  By almost $100.  That did not impress me.  I suppose that's to be expected in this area, where you find your run-of-the-mill foods, and anything exotic you either don't find or pay through the nose for.  My main mission was to find quinoa.  I have never tried it, but I have read nothing but great things about it.  Unfortunately, I had to scour the shelves in the grain aisle at Walmart, and when I did find the rather small box, it was almost $6.  I bought it anyway, as well as a small package of all natural wild and brown rice for $5.  I love these types of rice, but it pains me to buy the fast cook packages with their high sodium seasoning packets and preservatives.  We had the rice for supper tonight, and it was amazing, if I do say so myself.

My husband's cousin has gone through her own lifestyle change, and has lost 90 lbs. just by changing her diet and exercising.  I'm so thrilled for her!  She posted this recipe on Facebook, and I'm totally going to try it:

Sweet Potato Smoothie
1/2 c skim milk
1/2 c baked sweet potato
1/4 c reduced fat vanilla yogurt
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Combine in a blender all of the ingredients.  Blend until smooth and foamy.

Sounds like a holiday in a glass, doesn't it?  Of course, I saw this after I got home, after not buying any damn sweet potatoes.  Oh well.  Next time.

For Christmas this year, we finally gave in and bought our daughter a puppy, a mini dachshund we named Oscar (Because he's a weiner dog, get it? Yeah, I'm hilarious.).  I'm excited to take him for walks in the coming months.  He's almost 3 months old, so walks around the yard are what we're doing at this point.  But any time not spent sitting on my ass I consider exercise, so yay me.

My friend Kim just started a blog of her own.  We met about 10 or 11 years ago...my God Kim, has it been that long??...while working at a video store while we were both in college.  I don't know if you could call it work, as we spent most of our time laughing.  We are the kind of friends who don't see each other or speak for long periods of time, but when we do, it's like no time has passed.  Kim had the surgery in Oct. 2009, and has lost 160 lbs. since then.  I'm so proud of her!  So this blog she started, it is called Kim's 30 to 30.  It's her 30 things to do before she turns 30.  It got me thinking.  I should have a list like this, things I want to accomplish by a certain date.  I may do this, don't be surprised if you see me post something similar.  Of course, mine will be more like 34 to 34, as my 33rd birthday is next month.  I need more than a month!  I'm such a procrastinator, it would probably be 5 to 34!

Anyway...I hope this new year brings you all the happiness you deserve.  Thanks for caring enough about me to follow my blog!  Make sure you take the new poll I've posted at the top left of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment