Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me, I'm as Old as Can Be...

OK, not really, but I started singing that the other night on our way to my birthday dinner, and it's been stuck in my head ever since.  I have a tendency to make up my own songs a lot, especially for the kids' benefit.

Since my birthday has just passed, I've been eating out a lot.  Birthday lunches, birthday dinners, birthday cake (did someone say cake?!)  We celebrate birthday weeks around here, not just days.  My birthday fell on a Thursday, and I was taken to lunch by my mother and sister.  French onion soup and a chicken quesadilla.  Mmmm.  Worked for me!  Saturday brought another lunch with my mom, on our way to go grocery shopping.  I had breakfast...an egg and a piece of raisin toast with a smidge of bacon.  No troubles!  Saturday night my husband and I went to dinner.  I had the seafood dinner special, which consisted of 1/2 lb. of snow crab legs, a piece of broiled haddock, and 2 (yes, 2) deep fried shrimp with red-skinned mashed potatoes.  That was ok, because deep fried doesn't work for me but I think I can eat it anyway.  I did end up having to stop on the side of the road and throw up, but I don't know if it was the crab, the deep fried shrimp, or the fact that I just ate too much.  Maybe it was the combo of food and 1/2 a glass of wine.  Regardless, lesson learned!

Sunday was the last day of my birthday week.  We went to my parents' house and had chili (we all pretty much love Mom's chili) with corn bread and garlic bread, and at my request my sister brought an ice cream cake.  A Snickers ice cream cake, to be exact.  Boy was it good!  After I had it though, I started to get sweaty and a little nauseous.  Too much sugar.  But that feeling quickly passed, and it was worth it anyway.

Now, back to reality.  Healthy, homecooked meals.  Not to say Mom's chili wasn't healthy, but the ice cream cake that followed sure wasn't!  But before all that good home cooking, I have to clean this place.  It never fails to amaze me how the less time we spend at home, the messier the house is.  How does it get messy when there is no one here to mess it up?  Party gnomes?  Regardless, the little stinkers don't clean up after themselves, so that's what I'll be doing today.  There is no school this week, so maybe I can get my girl to help....hey, miracles happen every day, right?
My Snickers ice cream cake...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment