Monday, January 10, 2011

Buyers beware

I feel the need to air my disappointment in a couple of companies.  In these times, we need to wisely spend every penny we have, and these two companies have let me down recently.

Polar, you are on notice.  I recently purchased a few cans of shittake mushrooms.  I was pretty excited about it, seeing as though I prefer canned mushrooms over fresh, and you usually only see the one type of canned mushroom.  At least around here. 

I was making soup and thought the shittakes would be really good added to it.  For whatever reason, I stood at the stove after opening the can and read the label.  One of the ingredients?  MSG.  Really, Polar?  MSG?  Why?  With all that we know about MSG, and all the alternatives (if such an item belongs in a can of mushrooms in the first place) why not pick a healthier one?  I will not be purchasing these again, and will take a hard look at any Polar cans I may be contemplating in the future, if at all.

Second.  Hanes.  I'm a big fan of their long sleeved t-shirts.  I like to layer them under my clothes (as I'm cold all the time now) and sometimes even sleep in them.  They are cheap ($6) at the local Walmart, too.  My complaint?  If they accidentally find their way into the dryer, they shrink 1 to 2 sizes.  Not just in tightness, which I can deal with, but also in length in both the torso and arms.  You know that scene in "Tommy Boy" where Chris Farley tried on David Spade's coat?  "Fat guy in a little coat..."  That's what I felt like.  I like these shirts so much, I considered buying up a size.  But wait a minute...I lost off of this weight, and I have to buy a size up?  NOT. HAPPENING.

So while this may seem like small potatoes in the scheme of things, I'm trying to be a thrifty(er) shopper, and when situations like these arise, it makes me feel like my efforts are fruitless.  What's the point of clipping coupons if you're going to waste $6?  Know what I mean, Vern?

No comments:

Post a Comment