Friday, January 7, 2011

Cocky No More

Turns out I've been kind of cocky about not throwing up anything recently.  I've been patting myself on the back and being rather smug about the fact that I must have finally figured this thing out.

Not so much.

I've had my ass handed to me twice this week, figuratively speaking.  Earlier in the week I made Shake N Bake sirloin pork chops (an absolute favorite of mine from childhood) with lightly buttered pasta, peas and corn.  It wasn't long after I pushed my plate away with that sickish feeling that I was in the bathroom.  I was in and out of there a grand total of 6 times over the course of a half hour.  Not fun.  I thought maybe I ate too much.  As I was telling the gruesome tale to my mother, she suggested maybe it was the combination of peas and corn, as those with diverticulitis (a stomach condition that makes digestion difficult) can't eat any vegetable with any sort of a skin.  I did stop the throwing up once the peas and corn were out...so I won't be eating them in combination again.

Yesterday I went to lunch with my mother at the Boonville Hotel.  We usually have a good lunch there...not so much yesterday.  We both were unhappy with the quality of our meals, and mine proceeded to make me sick.  I had something I knew I could eat--hot sliced pork sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes.  Yes, it's a caloric nightmare, I know.  It doesn't matter though, because I ended up in their bathroom twice.  After we left there we went to the grocery store, and I ended up hunting down an employee to find out where their bathroom was. 

Today we're doing lunch again, as I have to take the dog to the vet (we don't go galivanting and living the life of leisure all the time!).  I hope today is more successful.  I'm going to stick with something safe, like soup.  As a post-op bariatric surgery patient, we're not "supposed" to eat soup, as their theory is the liquid in the soup pushes the food faster through your pouch, thereby causing you to eat more.  I put oyster crackers in mine, so that's really not an issue for me (that's my argument, and I'm sticking to it).

A small update:  my hair loss has slowed down.  I'm still losing it steadily, but not in huge gobs any more.  It is waaaaay thinner than I thought it would ever be, but nothing a good trip to my hairdresser (who is also post-op) won't fix.  Now if it would just start coming back in...

No comments:

Post a Comment