Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Obessed Much?

I wanna let you in on a little secret.

I have a lifelong obsession with food.

You're shocked, I'm sure.

See, before I had my surgery, I had to meet with the psychiatrist that would determine if I had any food obsessions that could possibly deter my success.  He said I don't.  He is wrong.  WRONG.  I think about food constantly.  A lot of my childhood memories revolve around food.  It started when I was just a little squirt...

My earliest memory is vague, but in it I am watching my mother peel and cut an onion.  I know it is an early memory because we were in the trailer, and we only lived there until I was 3.

One year for Christmas (I think I was 8 or 9, no more than 10) we were opening our presents.  I started to open one of mine, and the box under the wrapping paper was a Schwans chicken nugget box.  I happily exclaimed, "Chicken nuggets!" at which point my parents dissolved into laughter.  See, my mother had re-used the chicken nuggets box to wrap my brand new pink hair crimper (hey, it was the 80s).  I remember being disappointed...the crimper was nice but I much rather would have had the nuggets.  I still haven't lived that one down to this day.

When we lived on the lake, my cousin used to come over and go swimming all the time.  I remember sitting at the picnic table by the water, having bologna sandwiches with pretzels for lunch.  I was probably 10 years old.

I remember going to a friend's slumber party, again at about 10 years old, and being afraid of the movie we were watching.  By the way, who plays "Slumber Party Massacre" for a bunch of little kids, at a slumber party?  After that it was the "Wizard of Oz".  I sat in the kitchen with my mom and my friend's mom, finishing up the fish sticks we had for supper.

We didn't have cable when we lived on the lake until the last couple of years we lived there.  One of those cable-less days, Mom had "Gone With the Wind" going on PBS (remember those classic movie Sundays?)  It was hunting season, or something like that that would keep Dad away for dinner, so we had chicken patty sandwiches with a ketchup/mayo/relish sauce that Mom made. 

My childhood neighbor's mom introduced me to monkey bread, and his grandparents introduced me to maple syrup on snow.

See what I mean?  I could go on with these stories forever.  I have a ton of them.  I was destined to be the fat girl.  Diet after diet after diet wasn't going to change that.  So I'll have to be content with being the fat girl in my mind, and the not-so-fat girl on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment