Sunday, July 25, 2010

Clear Liquids Suck!

So because I would be in the hospital on my daughter's 6th birthday, we had her birthday parties the weekend before.  Dr. Graber's office requires a 3 day, clear liquid diet before surgery, and wouldn't you know I had to begin the diet the day of her party at my parents' house--a day by the pool followed by a barbeque and cake.  Needless to say, I was one miserable chick.  It was very hard watching others with their tomato pie, snacks, and all the delicious wonders of a summer barbeque...all while I sucked on my popsicles and sipped broth.  That was one of the hardest days I can remember in my life.


I also treated her to a mother/daughter day where we went to lunch (where I sat and kept her company while she ate her Happy Meal, as I was on the stupid clear diet) and to the movies ("Toy Story 3" is great).  I wanted to do something special, just with her, because let's face it--there's always the risk of death during any surgery.  I wanted her to have one last special memory with Mommy before I took that risk.  God forbid if something did happen to me, my son is too small to remember me, but her....her little world revolves around me, and that is the only hesitation I had with this surgery, the only thing that scared me.  How my death would affect my baby girl.

Anyway, the 3 day diet was the pits.  Clear broths/stocks, popsicles, juices, Jello...you know, what your mom gave you when you were recovering from the stomach flu.  Oh and hey, guess what you get for the first week post op?  Yep, you guessed it...the clear liquid diet.  Only this time, it's sugar free!  Can you say "suck city"?  I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment