Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hydrate...or Suffer the Consequences!

Did I mention how important it is to drink?  Staying hydrated is the #1 thing that is going to help you recover.  I learned this the hard way.

First, with your new pouch, it's important to take in a lot of fluids, but only at sips at a time.  This is difficult, when you're used to gulping.  If you drink too much too fast, it feels like someone punched you in the gut.  It hurts.  So don't do it.  They give you a medicine cup to drink out of at the hospital.  You know, the ones that come with your liquid medicines?  Those.  And you sip, sip, sip diluted juice or water from them.  Me being me, if I don't like what I'm drinking, I'm not going to drink.  In the hospital I had diluted grape juice, diluted cranberry juice, and diluted apple juice.  They all tasted the same to me, and they all tasted gross.  Same when I got home.  So I didn't drink much.

You know you're dehydrated when you're shaky, exhausted, and lightheaded.  Also when you call the doctor's office to see when you're going to feel better, and the nurse gives you hell for not drinking and for not calling earlier in the day so you could have gone to their office and been hooked up to an IV for a short.  Oops.  From that point on I started drinking iced tea with lemon, iced tea mixed with cranberry juice (thanks for that idea, Red Lobster!) and water.  If I was awake, I had a cup in my hand.  Once I got rehydrated, I started to feel much better.  I even went for a walk around the yard with my daughter...water in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment