Sunday, July 25, 2010

Clear Liquids Suck! Redux

I've said it before and I'll say it again....the clear liquid diet is devised from the pits of hell.  There's only so much broth a person can stand.  For the first week after surgery, this is the diet you will follow.  Clear and sugar-free liquids.  So I tried to come up with a way to make it more interesting, more palatable.  I don't know if I was supposed to do this or not, but it didn't hurt me....if you try it, don't blame me for anything that might happen!

I couldn't stand the thought of yet another cup of chicken broth.  So I bought a can of diced tomatoes, and squeezed the juice from the can into the broth.  It was still a clear liquid, right?  Then, and this is the probably-naughty part...I added a pinch of oregano.  I threw it in the microwave for a minute, and my first taste was like an Italian soup.  I was so excited.

The next night my husband made ziti for him and the kids, using jarred sauce.  Now, if you know me, you know even having the jar in my house insults my Italian heritage, but I figured it was something he could easily do himself.  I had run out of my canned tomatoes, so I instead added a tiny bit of the sauce to my broth.  That was even better than the first night.  I just made sure I didn't get any chunks of anything in my cup.  If I closed my eyes, I could almost pretend I was having ziti with them....almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment