Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Day Arrives, Part 1

The alarm goes off at 3:50 am.  Surprisingly, I slept well.  I woke up the husband, and into the shower I went.  I got out to the wonderful smell of coffee...of which I could have none--nothing by mouth after midnight.  My stomach was growling.  My mother-in-law arrived shortly before 5 to stay with the kids.  After hugs and well wishes, we were off.  It was a quiet 45-minute ride to the hospital, with both of us lost in our own thoughts.

6:00 am is a surprisingly busy time at the hospital.  Busy, but hushed.  People move quietly through the hallways, speaking in hushed tones.  We checked in, and were directed to a waiting room.  Hurry up and wait....after about 15 minutes a nurse called my name and took us to the room where I'd change and get hooked up to the IV.  I was also given some drugs to calm my nerves (I didn't think I was nerved up, but they give them to everyone).  Xanax and what I was surprised to learn were 2 pills of medicinal marijuana.  We got a chuckle out of that.  Weed in the hospital...

The anesthesiologist came in and gave us a brief overview of what would happen.  By then my fun drugs had kicked in, so I was feeling pretty mellow.  Whatever you say, dude, I'm just along for the ride.

We were in that room for just about an hour, then they moved me to the surgical holding area.  This is where the husband and I had to part ways.  We said goodbye to each other and at that point I wished to God that I would see him again in a few hours.  He headed to the waiting room and I was taken into this world of surgery.  Everyone was wearing scrubs and hair nets, and I was instantly aware that this large group of people was here for me.  Luckily I had the doctor's wonderful nurse practitioner come over and talk to me, explain what was about to happen, and get me fitted into these booties that compress/decompress to help prevent blood clots in the legs.  She and another nurse were joking with me about the size of my giant feet.  Really, girls?  Really?  I'm freaked enough and you think my size 11s are humorous.  Well, ok, maybe they are...

At promptly 8:30 the word comes that Dr. Graber has arrived.  They wheeled me into the OR and transferred me to this metal table.  I was suddenly surrounded by people, touching me at every end of my body, draping me with this, wrapping me with that... the anesthesiologist started talking to me about nonsense stuff, just to keep my mind occupied.  The last thing I remember is hearing Dr. Graber say, "Don't put her to sleep yet."  Too late....

No comments:

Post a Comment