Sunday, July 25, 2010

Protein Shake, Shmotein Shake

For the first two weeks following surgery, Dr. Graber's patients are to drink a low-sugar soy or whey protein based supplement (shake) 3 times a day.  But wait, don't get excited.  They do not want you to have the decent ones, like Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ensure, Boost or the Slim Fast shakes.  No sir.  The one I chose from the approved list was the Atkins Advantage shakes available at Walmart, in vanilla and strawberry flavors.

The first sip literally almost made me vomit.  My kids however, found it quite tasty.  How anyone over the age of 6 can find these appetizing is beyond me.  The thick substance tasted like vanilla vitamins...and if you take vitamins you know what I'm talking about.  It was just terrible.  I had high hopes for the strawberry, but alas that let me down also.  I made it through two days of the shakes before I said enough is enough.  I haven't had anymore since, and I seem to be doing fine.  I'm just making sure I take the rest of my vitamins...vitamins I will have to take for the rest of my life.

Again, please do not use me as an example...if you go through the surgery, and your protein supplement doesn't work for you, call your doctor as directed.  Me, I'm a bit of a rebel who would rather work through things myself without bothering anyone...and eventually it's going to get me into trouble.  But for the time being...is there anyone out there who actually enjoys these shakes that wants them?  I have 6 left over!

No comments:

Post a Comment